How space maintainers from your pediatric dentist in Yorba Linda can help your child
If your child loses a tooth or multiple teeth early, you may wonder what to do. Will your child’s smile or bite be affected by missing teeth? The answer to maintaining your child’s smile may just be space maintainers! Dr. Jaclyn Bae at Sunshine Pediatric Dentistry in Yorba Linda, CA wants to share with you some facts about space maintainers and how they can help preserve your child’s smile.
Children grow two sets of teeth in their lifetimes. The first set, called deciduous or primary teeth, have much less developed roots, often no roots at all, to anchor them. This means primary teeth can be knocked out very easily. Children can lose primary teeth early from:
- Trauma due to an accident or fall
- Extraction due to decay or other dental issues
- Diseases or genetic conditions leading to tooth loss
Your dentist in Yorba Linda wants you to know one of the main functions of primary teeth is to hold a place for your child’s second set of teeth, called the permanent teeth. When your child loses teeth early, the space can close up, leaving no room for the permanent tooth to erupt.
That’s where space maintainers come in. Space maintainers will hold the space open, giving the permanent tooth time to erupt and fill the space. Space maintainers are the perfect solution to help your child achieve an uncrowded smile.
Your dentist offers several different types of space maintainers. Space maintainers are made of either stainless steel or plastic and you can choose from:
- Fixed space maintainers--which are cemented onto the teeth adjacent to the space; these space maintainers are perfect for smaller children because they typically require minimal maintenance.
- Removable space maintainers--which are more cosmetically appealing and look like a retainer; removable space maintainers are a great choice for older children because they can care for the appliance properly.
Space maintainers can save your child’s smile if your child has lost teeth prematurely. Space maintainer placement can prevent or limit the amount of orthodontic treatment your child needs later on. Do your child a favor and find out more about space maintainers. Call Dr. Jaci at Sunshine Pediatric Dentistry in Yorba Linda, CA and find out about space maintainers for children. Call today!